With the Broad Street Run and the Atlantic City April Fools Half Marathon right around the corner, it’s time to kick your training into high gear. Temperatures are rising, the sun is shining, and the Circuit Trails are just waiting to be used by people looking to get active! Here are five tips to help you train successfully:
- Create a training plan. Figure out how much time you need to get in shape, how you’ll fit training into your schedule, and where you want to train. Think about your training goals and how you will measure success. Once you have clear goals in mind, write them down! A study by a psychology professor at the Dominican University in California showed that writing down your goals makes you 42% more likely to achieve them.
- Switch it up. If you’re worried about getting bored of training, try switching up your location. The Circuit Trails have hundreds of miles of trails of varying terrain, length, incline and environment. Check out the Cooper River Trail for a scenic run by the river, or enjoy the tranquility of Ridley Creek State Park Trail. Each trail on the Circuit has a certain charm that makes it unique, and variety can go a long way towards staying engaged and excited throughout your training regimen.
- Fuel yourself properly. Pre- and post-run fueling is critical to your success as a runner. Create a nutrition program that boosts your energy pre-workout and helps rebuild post-workout. Staying hydrated is also a critical part of training. Drink water before, during and after a run to ensure you’re staying as hydrated as possible.
- Make training fun! Bring friends or a pup and explore new places. The Circuit Trails are perfect for going on long walks or runs with a group of friends. Don’t have friends nearby who are training? Join a running group to find new friends to motivate you!
- Personalize your playlist. Get up and go to the beat of your favorite tunes with a personalized playlist made just for you. Sometimes the right song can help you move a little faster, run a little longer, or simply help you stay positive during your workout. If curating your own playlist isn’t your thing, use services like Spotify or Pandora to create a running mix based on your musical tastes that will keep you on your toes.
Take advantage of the spring-like weather and get started on your training. While training for races can be strenuous and difficult, don’t forget to have fun with it. Use your next race as a reason to take adventures with your friends and see what trails the Circuit has to offer!